Thursday, December 16, 2010

Podcasts in Librarys

I must say that I do like podcasts, and I have found some that have interested me out there like from the ABC (Australia for the international people).  They are great for things that you miss due to the time they are on or the location (or find the podcast online).  Subscriptions also make it very easy to use as you don't have to worry download them.

But Library podcasts is hit and miss.  Firstly they need to be continuous and have some order to them.  Some of the libraries that I looked at had stopped adding podcasts or the link no longer worked. This has the effect of the searcher being no longer interested in looking at the podcasts that are there. Also the podcasts need to follow the feel/job of all online library presences. They need to be interesting and fun, not to be mistaken with hip.  Hip doesn't always work as it can date which puts people or audience groups off.

I believe we need to plan what the aims of the podcasts will be before we start to use them and also who the audience/s are.  If this is done I think the library can use podcasts for events and changes/educating patrons about the library..

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I agree, I tend to lose interest when something hasn't been updated in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. podcasting would be great for updating patrons on whats happening so longs as it is current and up to date.

    ReplyDelete